menu

Paper Lantern DIY- Kalia’s Nursery- The Details

When I first saw this craft in Martha Stewart’s Living, Kalia was in the womb (kicking away, everyday, all day long… ) I saved the magazine and then added it to her nursery board on Pinterest when I saw it online.

I finally sat down to make one (only a year later after first seeing it 😉  If only I had realized how easy it was… I am using this for parties from now on!

I have never seen it on a blog or actually done, so I was a little intimidated, as my definition of easy and Martha Stewart’s definition of easy, are NOT the same.

I finished this project in less time than it took me to finish one glass of wine and an episode of The Office.  It was so, so, simple!
P.S.- A-not-so-secret tip of mine:  Wine + Crafting = you do not mind if it comes out crooked!

The tutorial from Martha Stewart is located here

Supplies
Paper lantern
Double sided tape
Precut tissue paper circles (found here) (I used 80 for 1 lantern)

Optional Supplies-
Lighting kit (if you plan on using it as light, for parties would look great with or without light kit)
The Office
Glass of wine

Easiest instructions ever-
Stick a piece of double tape on the lantern, apply one tissue paper circle.
Repeat until lantern is covered!

Check out the tutorial on Martha Stewart for 70 pictures of the process (which will take you longer to click through than the project takes!)

I just adore the way it came out.  The circles are a light pink and look great both lit and unlit.

Has a soft light at night that is perfect for bedtime reading!

The precut tissue paper circles come in a pack of 6 colors, I cannot wait to do more of these for parties.  Although I used it as a light in her nursery, I think it would look great at parties, baby showers, weddings, etc.

Best of all, Kalia LOVES the light, she points at it all the time, she is so cute!

The night picture also shows another DIY for Kalia’s room that I will share later.

Although I found this in Martha Stewart Living, I will count it towards my Pinterest Project since I later pinned it!

A Bubbly Life is on FacebookTwitter,  Pinterest & Instagram– I would love for you to join me there!

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

1. ellysan

May 15th, 2012 at 5:16 pm

I'm really impressed. It looks professional and beautiful!! Thank you for posting.

2. Laurel

May 16th, 2012 at 3:27 am

Thank you so much! My daughter loves it, which is really the best part! =)

3. Anonymous

May 16th, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Beautiful! Where do you purchase a light kit like this?

4. Laurel

May 16th, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Hi! Thank you for commenting, I will edit the post to add the info! I got the lantern and bulb kit at IKEA.

5. monsterscircus

May 19th, 2012 at 11:34 pm

So so beautiful, and nice work., I must really try this one my self! Lovely blog and pictures! Have a Nice Day!

6. Laurel

May 20th, 2012 at 3:15 am

7. Prachi

May 22nd, 2012 at 6:07 am

simple and graceful! loved it 🙂

8. Laurel

May 22nd, 2012 at 6:24 pm

Thank you very much! I loved doing it and want to do more for a party!

9. Joline

June 6th, 2012 at 3:21 pm

very nice , I have made one witch is very easy to do too !

10. Laurel

June 11th, 2012 at 1:53 am

Hi Joline! So glad you tried it! Amazingly easy!

11. michelle

August 14th, 2012 at 1:00 am

i am just curious as to what size the lantern is?? i am planning on making a couple of these (in different sizes) for my babies nursery.. with a few changes (i plan on putting remote controlled led lights in mine, so i dont have all the cords)

12. Laurel

August 14th, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Hi Michelle! Your email was not in your profile, so I hope you check back! I used the IKEA paper lantern here:

Great idea on no cords! I'd love to see how it comes out!

You can email me anytime with any questions- laurel AT abubblylife DOT com

13. Anonymous

August 14th, 2012 at 10:27 pm

you did such a great job with this! i'm making these in 3 different sizes for my apartment at school. i'm hoping they turn out as wonderful as yours! bravo!

14. Laurel

August 14th, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Thank you do much! It is so easy, I am sure you will love them, would love to see how they turn out!

15. Anonymous

August 22nd, 2012 at 3:59 am

I am assuming you can do the same on a lamp? I have a couple of lamps that are very boring but instead of buying new ones I've been wanting to do some crafty with them. I guess I could just do the exact same thing over the fabric that's already on the shade… But instead of tissue paper I'm thinking fabric.

16. Ewa K.

April 25th, 2013 at 7:49 pm

Hey! Thanks for inspiration! I made this one yesterday 🙂

17. Anonymous

July 4th, 2013 at 2:43 am

Have battery lights inside lantern. Not heavy. How do you mount to ceiling without unattractive hooks showing? Anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks. Janice

18. laurelstavros

July 21st, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Hi Janice, I do use a hook on mine, it is very small and I do not think shows much. There are clear hooks you can buy which may be better for you!

Also, I am sorry for delay, the comment was anonymous and was in my spam filter!

19. Anonymous

July 27th, 2013 at 9:47 pm

Ooooh me likey! Crooked? I don't see it at all, I see gorgeous! I think I would make one slight change…out of necessity. I'd use some kind of glue, light enough not to compromise the tissue but strong enough to hold up, especially if I'm putting a light kit inside. I fear the heat from the light and atmosphere will affect the adhesive on the double sided tape over time. I live on a tropical island and have had black and white prints (no frame, so they're very light), mounted with double sided tape just fall off the wall…darn this heat sometimes!

Awesome job though and who can go wrong with Martha? Love her!

P.S. I really like your daughter's name! Is it pronounced Kay-lee-uh or Kah-lee-uh? Either way, it's very pretty and Kalia Alice is a great combo.

20. laurelstavros

July 28th, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Aloha! Thank you so much for visiting!
    In hindsight, glue would be better since I use it as a light everyday and not a party lantern. It has been fine for the time I have had it though (over a year)

Kalia is Kah-lee- uh 🙂 We had her when we lived in Hawaii, it is a Hawaiian (and Greek) name! Alice was my Grandmom's name (the best Grandma ever, so I had to give it to my daughter!)

21. Rachel Bell

July 28th, 2014 at 9:52 pm

So cute! Love this craft, who knew tissue paper could be so versatile?

22. Karen

October 7th, 2014 at 9:04 pm

I am very happy to have stumbled on your tutorial about lampshades! I will be making one very soon!

23. laurelstavros

October 8th, 2014 at 4:28 am

Thank you Karen, if you have any questions, just ask 🙂

recently on instagram