Post sponsored by Sprouts, thank you for supporting sponsors who support A Bubbly Life!
Sorbet is so cool and refreshing, I prefer it over ice cream because it is much lighter to eat and does not have the heaviness of ice cream- and sorbet is vegan if that is your thing- no milk! (although you can find a variety of dairy free milk alternatives at Sprouts if you are vegan) Sprouts has a huge selection of farm fresh produce to create chilly Summer treats. I also use fresh lemons and oranges from Sprouts for a better taste- freshly squeezed lemon and orange juice is so much better than a container of juice! Sorbet is very easy to make and you can do it without an ice cream maker- why get another appliance that takes up space on your counter?
Lemon & Orange Sorbet Without an Ice Cream Maker
Recipe by: Laurel Stavros
Overall time: 6-8 hours (includes freeze time)
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 6-8 hours to include freezing
Servings: 8- 10 servings
1 cup sugar
2 cups water
1 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice (or orange juice)
Zest of two lemons or oranges depending upon which sorbet you want to make
Garnish with mint and zest
1) Combine sugar and water over medium heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Let boil and remove from heat.
2) Once cooled add in the zest and juice and stir again.
3) Freeze. If you are not using an ice cream maker, cover with saran wrap and add to freezer.
4) Freeze for 2-3 hours util it is somewhat solid. Then, every hour or so check and break down any ice that forms on the sides and stir.
How to Make Lemon & Orange Cups
Overall time: 10 minutes
Servings: One lemon or orange per person
1) Cut and remove about a third of the lemon from the top.
2) If lemon or orange cannot stand on its own, cut a little slice off bottom of the citrus to make it stand on its own.
3) Use a knife to cut around the lemon segments inside to remove them from the rind.
4) Once it is cut, use a spoon to dig it all out and you get an empty cup to put your sorbet in and eat!
I like to make the lemon and orange cups for sorbet to make it a bit more special and unique. I think it is beautiful for adult entertaining, but my kids loveeee the lemon and orange cups, so it works for everyone!
It is so delicious and perfect for Spring/Summer- especially here in Arizona… it is not Summer yet, but we have temperatures over 100, so an icy treat is definitely appreciated over here. Pick up or get delivery from Sprouts- avoid that Summer heat and get all your treats! Yes, I did mean that to rhyme 😉